At the NRA Show this past May, one of the most common cook-chill questions our staff received was “I just have a small restaurant. Why would I need to do cook-chill?” While the cook-chill process does work great in large kitchens, commissaries and the like, you don’t need to cook huge quantities of food to reap the benefits of a cook-chill system.
The cook-chill process is actually very simple. Food is cooked in batches, then bagged into smaller quantities. The sealed bags are quickly cooled to safe temperatures, and transferred to the cooler for storage. Large kitchens and commissaries perform this using 100 gallon (or larger) kettles for cooking, but the process works great for smaller kitchens too – think of the sauces or soups that are made every day.
But the question remains – why would a smaller kitchen want to do cook-chill? So here we are:
Flavorseal’s Top 5 Reasons to do Cook Chill in Any Kitchen
1. Safety Reason #1– Bagged food reaches the safe temperature zone more quickly than tubs of food in the cooler.
2. Safety Reason #2 – Less risk of cross contamination. Sealed bags keep contaminants out.
3. Consistency – Making food in larger batches ensures it all tastes the same, no matter who is cooking.
4. Ease in Reheating – Cook-Chill bags can be reheated in a pot or retherm unit when you need them.
5. Improved Flavors – Food stored in bags allows the flavors to truly blend, for a richer and more complex taste.
How Flavorseal cook-chill products accommodates any type of product for your business:
Flavorseal provides a single-source cook-chill system to conveniently accommodate your business needs. From restaurants to facilities, our cook-chill equipment offers a vast array of kettles, cook-chill bags, heat sealers and chillers to fit your supply. For additional information and training materials, we will work with your business to customize cook-chill equipment, accessories and training classes. Click here to view the new Flavorseal Foodservice catalog available online, or request your printed copy from the Contact Us section of our website.